Jerry Z. Muller discusses the moral effects of capitalism. He enumerates five postiive moral effects of the market.
- The link between individual autonomy and self-support through legally free labor.
- The moral quality of self-support arises in good part from the fact that it so often extends beyond the individual, to his or her family and descendants.
- The market leads to a self-interested concern for others, to what one might call non-altruistic reciprocity.
- Capitalism creates ever wider forms of association.
- Capitalism creates new and more complex forms of individuality.