April is a tough month for #ActuallyAutistic people. We do not support Autism Speaks or the Light It Up Blue campaign. Many autistics consider Autism Speaks to be a eugenicist hate group that diverts resources, talks over autistic people, spreads harmful “awareness”, and funds research and practices that abuse and kill us. April is a month of disinformation, and Autism Speaks is responsible for much of it.
This video explains what’s wrong with Autism Speaks.
Here are a few pieces detailing the troubled history of Autism Speaks.
- New Autism Speaks Masterpost (Updated 4/4/17) – The Caffeinated Autistic
- A Roundup of Posts Against Autism Speaks – Kirsten Schultz – Medium
- What’s Wrong With Autism Speaks? | Emma’s Hope Book
Support ASAN and Autism Women
Acceptance > Awareness
Autism Acceptance (or Appreciation) Month is preferred over Autism Awareness Month. acceptance > awareness
Instead of promoting Autism Speaks, Light It Up Blue, and puzzle pieces, promote these.
Like most neurodiversity and disability communities, we prefer identity-first language, not person-first language. I’m autistic, not a person with autism. Autistic is my identity. I’m a disabled person, not a person with disabilities. Disabled is my identity.
Autism Is Not a Disease
Autism is not a disease. Vaccines do not cause autism. There is no cure for autism, nor do autistic people want to be cured. Autism is an integral part of our being. Removing it would be a death of self. Autism is an identity and a culture. It is a valuable and natural part of human diversity.
ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis) is abuse. It is torture. There is no excusing it. We do not condone it. Autistic people are not neurotypical and should not and cannot be made neurotypical. Trying to pass as neurotypical comes at great cost and leads to burnout. Being forced to pass leads to PTSD.
- Why I Left ABA | Socially Anxious Advocate
- I Abused Children For A Living – Diary Of A Birdmad girl
- I Abused Children And SO DO YOU: A Response To An ABA Apologist – Diary Of A Birdmad girl
- I’m an ABA therapist, I’ve noticed a lot of the… – neurowonderful
- I’m sorry, but that’s not earning your token
- ‘Cardgate’ Scandal Uncovers Widespread Disrespect of Autistic People | NOS Magazine
- The Misbehaviour of Behaviourists
This Twitter moment collects Autism Acceptance Month 2017 tweets made by autistic people. These are the voices that should be centered during acceptance month.
We have enough “awareness”. The time is now for acceptance and inclusion.
- Education, Neurodiversity, the Social Model of Disability, and Real Life
- Autistic Burnout: The Cost of Coping and Passing
- Autistic Empathy
- Eye Contact and Neurodiversity
- Ask an Autistic #12 – What Shouldn’t I Say to Autistic People?
- The Gift: LD/ADHD Reframed
- Neurodiversity Library
- Presume Competence: A Hippocratic Oath for Education
- Interaction Badges
- Hidden Disability
- Ben Foss on Dyslexia and Shame
- Compassion is not coddling
- Neurodiversity and Gender Non-conformity, Dysphoria and Fluidity
- Bathroom Bills, Neurodiversity, and Disability
- Neurodiversity and Cognition Representation
- Harm reduction, addiction, tough love, 12 steps, neurodiversity, and the troubled-teen industry
- Transitioning from invisible to visible disability