Rebuilding with Care: The Infrastructure of Equity
Rebuilding Care with Equity at the Center
Source: Constructing a New Social Compact: Full Schedule | Kalmanovitz Initiative for Labor and the Working Poor | Georgetown University
I love the plenary titles from the recently concluded virtual gathering “Constructing a New Social Compact”. I wish I could have attended the event. Regardless, I’m adding these titles to my framing toolkit.
I have been reading the infrastructure bill and find so much of it good and important. The construction of care work as infrastructure is one of the most creative social policy moves the democrats have made in a long time, in my humble estimation. It is the kind of thing that, if it happens, could actually work.
Source: Why Our Money is Funny – essaying
I agree. I’ve picked up and amplified this framing of care, combining it with interdependence.
And I’ve been on the equity literacy train for awhile.
Framing a rebuilt care as “The Infrastructure of Equity” appeals to me. I like it.
I recently added these lines on care to my “Just Sayin’” collection of DEI quotes.
I’m considering a couple more:
- Rebuild care with equity at the center.
- Care is the infrastructure of equity.
Another month of diversity, equity, and inclusion blogging from my lanes of neurodiversity, disability, and toxic Christianity, with some music in the mix:
- The Self-injurious Stims that I Love
- New Atheism: Stealing the Credibility of Science to Rationalize Prior Bigotries
- “Autistic people have significant barriers to accessing safety.”
- Lost In Translation: Ways in Which Neurodivergent and Neurotypical Social Languages Differ
- Rina Sawayama and Dua Lipa: Anthemic, Buoyant Joy at the Tiny Desk
- Autism Acceptance Month Is Nerve-racking and Traumatizing
- Interrogating Normal: Autism Social Skills Training at the Margins of a Social Fiction
- DEI at Work: The Familiar Life Cycle
- The Intensive Pattern Dance of Meatspace Relationships: Patterns, Sensory Overwhelm, and Solo Polyamory
- I Cannot, and Will Not, Believe in That God: Libraries as Candles in the Dark
- Unchosen Family
- Gender Copia and Bricolage
- Autigender and Neuroqueer: Two Words on the Relationship Between Autism and Gender That Fit Me
- Republicans: A Relentless Source of Minority Stress
- Accommodations: Individualized Responses to Structural Design Problems
- A Credo for Support: Respecting Autonomy in a Society of Interdependence and Care
- The Meaninglessness of “Evidence-based”
- Behaviorism: Measuring the Surface, Badly
- “Care is an organizational structure needed to keep our nation running.” “Care work makes all other work possible.”
- Cradle-to-Grave Eugenics: Selective Abortion, Assisted Suicide, and Structural Ableism
- Jubilation of the Nones
- Purity Culture, the False Gender Binary, and Abuse at Heritage Christian School
- Google, Autism Speaks, and NAUWU
- “Those Burning Crosses Are Symbols of Evangelicalism”
- There Should Be Social and Economic Costs for Bigotry
- A Sound That Turns the Mountains Into Sand
- My March Blogging
- Interdependence and Representation in Appare-Ranman!
In the works for coming months:
- Taking Control of the Mask: Unmasking as a Spoiled Identity
- The Autism Industry and Race Science: Stealing the Credibility of Science to Rationalize and Exploit Prior Bigotries
- Many thrive on frugal fare, Who would perish of excess: Intense World, Perceptual Capacity, and Solo Polyamory in Promises Like Pie-Crust
- The Complex Sensory Experiences of Our Neurodivergent Family and the Interconnected Modalities of Stimminess and Sensory Hell
- This Chronic Bodymind: Separate, Isolate, Bolster, and Squeeze with Pregnancy Pillows and Body Pillows
- This Chronic Bodymind: Articulate All the Things
- Platform Capitalism and Predatory Inclusion
- Accommodations and Emotional Bids in Neurodiverse Relationships
- My Two Blogs: Managing Publication Anxiety With Digital Caves, Campfires, and Watering Holes
- Constantly Ruminating Engine of Regret: Social Anxiety, Rejection Sensitivity, and Flashbacks
- Samefooding the Apocalypse
- Crip Wisdom in the Age of Coronavirus
Mainly what happened is that the credibility of science was stolen to bolster rationalizing prior bigotries.
Source: The train wreck that was the New Atheism
Wow. What an apt summation for so much of the rationalist movement.
they instead learned that bastardized evolutionary theories could be weaponized to justify all kinds of abuses
Yep. The near absolute ignorance of neurodiversity and disability studies from folks preoccupied with neuroscience and evolutionary psychology particularly galled me.
now a group of people who may initially have rejected the pious stupidity of the Republicans found themselves being told that we ought to support Republican militarism.
I remember those times. The whole article offers a good survey of why I parted ways with New Atheism and rationalist communities.
From my perspective, though, the deepest of the rifts was the emerging anti-feminist wing and the active neglect of social justice issues.
I realized it’s destination was where it is now: a shambles of alt-right memes and dishonest hucksters mangling science to promote racism, sexism, and bloody regressive politics.
Source: The train wreck that was the New Atheism