HR 620 is raw and ugly ableism. It welcomes a return to legal exclusion. Frivolous lawsuits by a handful of high-frequency filers can and should be handled at the district court or bar level. Apply political pressure on the bad actors instead of on disabled and neurodivergent people navigating systems made callous and cruel by the politics of resentment.
Thirty years is sufficient time for us to upgrade our business ethics and embrace accessibility as good for society and business. The future is accessible. Let’s get there faster instead of slower. Withdraw support of HR 620.
Arresting doctors, professors, combat vets, mothers, and children. Waiting outside schools to pick up parents and their kids. Coming to hospitals to deport the injured and sick—including small children with cerebral palsy. Stalking courthouses to collect women who are reporting domestic abuse. Intercepting ambulances. Surveilling and entering churches. Launching pre-dawn raids on 7-Elevens. Illegally seizing blogs. Committing identity fraud and wire fraud.
ICE is a white supremacist militia operating beyond decency, humanity, and constitutional restraint. Holocaust survivors are likening the culture and behavior of ICE to the SS. When CBP went on a hiring spree during the Bush administration, many white supremacists, Christo-fascists, and criminal opportunists joined. A former head of CBP’s internal affairs lamented publicly on the ethical problems of the agency during the Bush era.
That influx of haters is tame compared to what is happening with ICE now. White nationalists such as 3UP have been infiltrating law enforcement for decades. ICE has rolled out the welcome mat for them. Agents retaining some semblance of ethics are speaking out about the dangerous shift in culture.
Disband ICE. They are a new agency that never should have been. ICE is racist in inception, design, and implementation. What ICE does is neither necessary nor moral.
Down with ICE, up with DACA and dreamers. America overwhelmingly supports the protections offered by DACA. Represent us. We want dreamers, not armed bigots snatching people off the streets and breaking up families.
- Encouraged by a racist president, US immigration officers are sowing fear, anxiety and panic
- The Border Patrol Was Primed for President Trump | The New Yorker
- Homeland Security’s Unchecked Corruption at the Border
- Poll: Nearly 9 in 10 want DACA recipients to stay in US | TheHill
- “Bernard Marks, 90, survivor of Auschwitz & Dachau, confronts ICE director Thomas Homan and Sacramento Sheriff Scott Jones at public forum. https://t.co/KYsHKRtPsE”
- ICE arrests go too far – Houston Chronicle
- A Veteran ICE Agent, Disillusioned with the Trump Era, Speaks Out | The New Yorker
- Arresting immigrants at schools, hospitals and courthouses isn’t just cold-hearted, it’s counterproductive
- California police worked with neo-Nazis to pursue ‘anti-racist’ activists, documents show | World news | The Guardian
- ““30 years ago, we were skinheads. You could identify us. We decided at that time to grow our hair out, trade in our boots for suits & we encouraged ppl to get jobs in law enforcement” Ex-White Supremacist on #60Minutes… https://t.co/6ITBqNR9R4”
- Top ICE Lawyer Accused Of Identity Fraud Against Detained Immigrants | Techdirt
- More & Bigger Mistakes Discovered In Homeland Security’s Domain Seizures | Techdirt
Trumpism fuels ableist and eugenicist hate against neurodivergent and disabled people. Haters are emboldened by the GOP’s open and apparent hostility to disabled folks. These haters have heads full of myths installed by the politics of resentment. They spit these myths—propagated by Republican politicians and media—in our faces, oblivious to their own ignorance and fear.
HR620 further enshrines and promotes ableism via attacks on the ADA. Please stop doing this. Life is hard enough without constantly battling exclusion, hate, and misinformation. Accessibility is a grand social good and a powerful driver of innovation. Encourage it. My family and so many others would appreciate that. Everyone benefits from accessible design. We arguably wouldn’t have an internet if not for neurodivergent and disabled people creating accessible communication and collaboration (see the book NeuroTribes).
Disability is the most intersectional identity. Twelve years of hard-hitting Texas football contributed to my progressive disabilities. That’s not an uncommon story in our football-crazed state. We encourage kids to risk their brains and bodies playing a game while we sabotage the laws and systems that will help them remain a part of society once chronic pain settles into their lives to stay.
Anyone, at any time, can join our ranks. If and when they do, they will find themselves in an inaccessible society, sick with ableism and resentment. Much of that ableism and resentment is the direct result of Republican policies and messaging. Your words hurt us. Your willful ignorance hurts us. Your refusal to listen hurts us. Your racial hatred, indifference to suffering, and refusal to examine systemic causes hurt us.